List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: MSWrite's strange linespacing (was KWord's strange linespacing)
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-12-17 8:08:51

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 08:39:06PM +1100, Clarence Dang wrote:
> Ok, I was wrong :)
> It's MSWrite that's doing the "strange linespacing" (hence, I've changed the
> subject line :)).
> As Nicolas Goutte pointed out, MSWord doesn't have this "strange
> linespacing", nor does AbiWord, nor KWord for that matter.
>
> I notice that MSWord's import filter for MSWrite maintains the linespacing
> by specifying "At least 18pt" instead of "1.5 lines", for instance.  I know
> very little about DTP so that is quite meaningless to me :).
>
> So how do I fix my import filter?
>
> On Tuesday 11 December 2001 10:57, Clarence Dang wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > It seems that KWord's linespacing is different to everyone else's (MS)
> > implementation of linespacing.  If you look at the attachment, which shows
> > KWord on the left and MSWrite on the right (running in Wine :), you can
> see
> > that Microsoft aligns their text to the bottom of the linespacing, while
> > KWord aligns it to the top.

The difference is fundamental and can not be tricked around; in other words
you can not make a perfect import filter.

For first paragraph start you can adjust the size of the frame to start a
bit lower (something like 2pt for 10pt font) so the texts start at the same
position again :)

ps. don't add all those cc-s when people replied to a email from a mailing list;
it clearly shows they receive the mailing list!