List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: suspending screen updates
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-12-11 12:32:32

On Friday 07 December 2001 07:04, John Dailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a patch here that I'd like people to take a look at.  I'm pretty new
> to KOffice/KDE/QT development so I'm sure there's lots of issues I'm
> trampling over without realizing it.

Yes, for instance the patch breaks binary compatibility, you have to add
the boolean to KoViewPrivate and access it with d->inOperation
(and this means the accessor can't be inline anymore).
See the page on developer.kde.org about binary compatibility.
Other than that, it looks very good.

> I wanted to shorten the time it takes KSpread to sort by preventing the screen
> from repeatedly refreshing after each cell data is copied in the sort.  Then
> I figured why not put it in the kofficecore classes in a generic way.

This is interesting. I thought the fix for this problem was to fix KSpread so
that it doesn't update the cells when setting their value (during sorting).
But indeed your approach works too.

> I added signals in the KoDocument class so that any document can signal its
> views that "hey, don't update for a while" and then "ok, I'm done -- now you
> can refresh the screen".
>
> It ended up not doing a great deal to reduce the sort time (my test case went
> from 14-15 seconds to about 11 or 12) but it seems like this would be useful
> for any KOffice application.

Hmm, not a better improvement ? Next step would be to find out where it
spends more time then.

Please re-submit the patch with the boolean moved to KoViewPrivate,
I'll apply it.

Thanks for your contribution.

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/ , http://www.konqueror.org/
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops