List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: .desktop files for MS Office apps
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2001-11-28 22:39:42

On Wednesday, 28. November 2001 22:38, Chris Howells wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 November 2001 9:11 pm, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > Why are you not using the "application/msword" that is defined in
> > kdelibs? If there is something wrong with it, you should fix it there,
> > instead of fixing it in KOffice.
>
> Ah, didn't really realise that they existed.
>
> Well, my reason for putting it in Koffice is that if you have kdelibs and
> kdebase installed, doesn't necessarily mean that you have KOffice
> installed.
>
> Therefore, you don't want the association unless you have installed
> KOffice. Which I would have thought means that they should go in the
> KOffice package, not kdelibs.

Yes, that is also what I have thought months ago when I defined
"application/abiword". I have put it with my filter. Today, I think that I
should not have done this.

Here a few reasons:

- Konqueror uses mimetypes too, displaying separate icons.
- Developpers tend to search the mime types at the well know place in kdelibs.
- Some developper could need it too and create again the same mime type as
you, because he does not know that it already exists.
- When someone needs that same mime type, he is not going to browse all KDE
packages to find where it is defined. (I had this problem with "text/book". I
still does not know where it is, but that is not my problem anymore.)
- Translation teams will translate kdelibs first and kdelibs will be
monitored more closely by translation teams than KOffice.

If your problem is the file pattern *.doc, this was already handled sooner
this year. David Faure had made efforts to find "application/msword" by
other means than by file extension.

> > As for the translation, that is the job of the translators.
>
> Well yes, nobody else is going to do it are they ;)
>
> My question is how that they *know* that that there are new strings in
> .desktop files to be translated.
>
> Do we need to tell them xyz.desktop has strings that need to be translated,
> or will they realise this and sort it out?

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood your question.

You have luck, desktop files are handled "automagically" for translation,
unlike normal source code.

And Stephan Kulow runs regularly a script that extracts all strings to be
translated.

Have a nice day/evening/night!