List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Thesaurus now in CVS
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-11-19 23:35:19

On Tuesday 20 November 2001 00:22, Daniel Naber wrote:
> On Monday 19 November 2001 23:31, Daniel Naber wrote:
>
> > KOffice now includes an English thesaurus.
>
> I forgot one question: now that we've spent our time to write a KDataTool,
> is it possible to write a wrapper so that it can also be used stand alone?
> Of course there are some differences, e.g. no "Replace" button, so the
> tool needs to know if it's called stand alone or not.

You mean a small app that lets you type a word or sentence,
and fire a chosen datatool ? This would be quite a generic app,
it would be more of a test app than a real-world usage, no ?
A standalone thesaurus might make sense, but a standalone
"spellcheck + thesaurus + image effect + translator" !?
(trying to imagine the datatools that might exist in the future ;)
I'm afraid such an app would show too much of the internal design
(and be limited by it, in a way), and wouldn't appeal too much to end users.

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/ , http://www.konqueror.org/
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops