List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    koscript and rpc
From:       Lenny <kudling () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-31 19:57:05

Heya,

i talked about this with werner already. He warned me about the hot
discussions which have happened in the past concerning this topic. That's why
i just like to tell you about a possible kspread-application which isn't
currently possible (me thinks).

At my job, we plan to use a spreadsheet-application as a frontend, which talks
to a corba-server for performing the calculations there. Excel XP (will)
provide(s) SOAP and could be used for it via a wrapper/bridge. I think such
applications will see a strong need in the furture at many companies.
Since KoScript is designed with security in mind (which is good), kspread
cannot contact the outside world (via rpc/files). I wonder, if this grade of
security should rather be achieved on a per-sheet- than on a global
language-basis. The communication might be controllable via a flag, which
should be read-only from the sheet/script but could be changed from the gui
("allow scripts in this sheet to do nasty things Yes/No").
We'd really love to have a unix-solution also.

Thanks for listening
Lenny