List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    usability report kpresenter/kformula - part II
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-03 14:19:42

Hi,

at the end of my last mail the presentation wasn't finished yet and I have to
tell you the end of the story.

The problem with the png pictures became worse and worse. I tried a lot of
different export options, color modes in corel draw, import/export with gimp,
etc., but it didn't really work. There were a lot of pictures, where complete
parts were missing in the print, sometimes also the whole picture.

Also the printing of embedded formulas fails competely.

Then I tried to paint things directly in kpresenter, but the painting tools
let you only realise _very_ simple pictures. Things like half circles or even
half circles with an arrow at the end, and other complex things are simply
not possible.

After 1 week I then decided to go back to staroffice and finished the missing
things in 2 hours only!!! The pictures work (several types of pictures like
png, eps, jpg), the painting is easy, I can configure the text, I can insert
formulas and I can print everything in a good quality.

I think you understand, that I have to say, kpresenter is completly useless
for scientific presentations. It is good for presentations, that contain text
only and are screen presentations - but for all presentations that contain
complex vector graphics and that have to be printed, I have to tell my
students to use other programs :-(

Thank you for reading this - I hope it motivates you to go on. The first
version already looks quite promising.
If you need more details, please tell me.

Greetings,
eva