List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: usability report of kpresenter/kformula
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-09-27 16:26:35

On Thursday 27 September 2001 12:03, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
|   On Thursday 27 September 2001 12:23, David Faure wrote:
|   > > * resized jpg and also eps figures look dizzy
|   > > This happens both on the monitor and in print. png looks fine.
|   > > Strange, since eps should scale nice as a vector graphic.
|   >
|   > Not in KDE. To show an EPS file, we get ghostscript to render it to a
|   > pixmap, and then we use that pixmap. Writing a PS interpreter is out of
|   > the question......

What about re-running EPS picture through GS when it's resized?

|   I wouldn't expect that ;-)
|
|   > Hmm, maybe we could pass the desired size to
|   > kimgio_eps_read, but I don't see how (the kimgio design doesn't allow
|   > this).
|
|   You can use gs to resize. An example:
|
|   gs -r20x30 picture.eps
|
|   I also checked the postscript output - it doesn't use the original file,
| even if the picture isn't resized. And the picture saved in the kpresenter
| file isn't the original one either.
|   I don't know which problems exist with embedding eps files into ps
| output, but that is the behaviour I would expect, since each conversion
| reduces quality.

EPS is naturally subset of PS.
It can have embedded picture, but this is mostly for preview (placeholder in
DTP/Word Processor program)
WP usally uses this placeholder for formatting, columnt layout, etc,. and
when printing it sends EPS (to vector device, like PostScript printer) or
printer driver converts it to raster format with printer's best resolution.

If curent KOffice has problem with proposed above, what about running
("distilling") EPS through eps2ps filter, and inserting unmodified PS
illustration in KWord?
The best, of course, is to try to convert EPS to SVG, but SVG part is still
not here :-(
// and conversion filter, probably, also not written.

|   I also checked the tool "psresize", but it doesn't work always and is not
| on each system installed.

I guess GhostScript itself is enough. :-)

[...]

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)