List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: usability report of kpresenter/kformula
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-09-27 12:03:08

Hi David,

On Thursday 27 September 2001 12:23, David Faure wrote:
> > * resized jpg and also eps figures look dizzy
> > This happens both on the monitor and in print. png looks fine. Strange,
> > since eps should scale nice as a vector graphic.
>
> Not in KDE. To show an EPS file, we get ghostscript to render it to a
> pixmap, and then we use that pixmap. Writing a PS interpreter is out of the
> question......

I wouldn't expect that ;-)

> Hmm, maybe we could pass the desired size to
> kimgio_eps_read, but I don't see how (the kimgio design doesn't allow
> this).

You can use gs to resize. An example:

gs -r20x30 picture.eps

I also checked the postscript output - it doesn't use the original file, even
if the picture isn't resized. And the picture saved in the kpresenter file
isn't the original one either.
I don't know which problems exist with embedding eps files into ps output,
but that is the behaviour I would expect, since each conversion reduces
quality.

I also checked the tool "psresize", but it doesn't work always and is not on
each system installed.

> For the rest: all the text-related stuff is going to improve much when
> someone ports kpresenter to the "kotext" library coming from KWord. I'd
> love to do that, but I think I should rather fix this lib (the wysiwyg
> support broke it a bit) first ;) You'll get everything that KWord can do -
> and that's quite a lot compared to kpresenter's current textobject ;)

kpresenter and kword combined - looks like the perfect office tool for
presnetations :-)

Greetings,
eva