List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] filter redesign
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-09-14 17:57:01

> > > You cannot have this! <TABLE> cannot be a child of <P> according to
> > > strict DTD of HTML 4.01.
> >
> > I never said that the resulting code should be a table beneath a parag.
> > Reading your other mail as well, I am afraid you miss the implementation of
> > the pattern, the meaning is to create the document as datastructures in
> > memory, and ask that datastructure later to print the output stream that
> > represents it.
>
> I do not understand why we need again an intermediate layer between KWord and
> the final export format. Today we have already QDom on side of KWord, the
> KWord file and QDom on the KWord side of the office filter. Why would we need
> again another layer that will only cost memory and time for no gain? Or at
> least, I cannot see any gain.

We don't really add another layer, just split very precisely existing filters
in two. When this is done correctly you can combine different filter parts
to create more filters without adding any code..

> > Note also that the input datastream does not have to result in the caching
> > of the document in the director, the builder is the only one who builds the
> > document.
>
> >From what I have read of the very first message, it is not the builders
> responsability to write the file, but it must give back a method getHTML().
> And in particular in this point, I think that it is wrong!

True, and not what I meant. The builder _is_ responsible for the output part,
how this is done in the filter implementation is a different matter though..
Basically the builder is the only one who knows what kind of output he is going
to create.

> > A table will be positioned by using a paragraph, but if the spec does not
> > allow this then you don't print the tag ;)
>
> Ah! You spoke in KWord's term, I thought you were talking in HTML terms!

Right :) And I normally use <p> to create extra space in front of the table,
but thinking about this, it will be interpreted to close the <p> before starting
a table :)