List:       koffice
Subject:    KWord buglets
From:       Jacek Stolarczyk <jacek () mer ! chemia ! polsl ! gliwice ! pl>
Date:       2001-09-05 8:41:11

Hi,

Here is my little report on using KWord from KDE_2_2_BRANCH (checked out
on 30 Aug 2001). I'm trying to persuade people in my dept. to use
Linux+KDE in our computer lab as a primary OS/Desktop for students'
classes starting in October. Linux is installed on all computers (~30) but
classes were still done on WinNT last term. Computers are dual-boot but
people tend to boot to Windows. Doing at least part of the classes on
Linux would hopefully make them less afraid of that system. So KWord
(along with KMail & Konq) is one of bigger argument for the transition.

I did the test on my home and relatively slow machine (K6 333MHz, 64MB
RAM). I was pleasantly surprised by the speed of KWord and my overall
impressions were very good as well. Few hiccups appeared though:

1) The underlining line in "underlined text" appeared _very_ thin on the
printout. It looked OK on the screen so it seems it's not scaled to the
current resolution
2) The cell borders in a table are not overlapped. I expected to get a
framed table with lines separating the cells but I got 6 (the
table was 2x3) separate boxes (rectangles) on the screen and on
the printout.
3) The previous test was not fully successful so I put a KSpread part onto
the document. When the text was edited in a cell the font looked OK (I
used helvetica) but when I switched to other cell (or moved the focus from
the kspread part) the font turned into some ugly bitmap scaled font. It
looked OK on the printout.
4) The toolbar bitmaps for left|right|center alignment are much too
similar to each other. It needed too much attention to differentiate them.
5) KChart didn't compile (KChartAxesPainter.cpp was causing internal
compiler error on my (patched) RH6.2 system).
6) Is there any way to disable the "activate part on single click"
behaviour? I would much prefer to have "select on single click" and
"activate on double click" behaviour. Single click is OK for the desktop
but I dislike it for part activation.

Despite the list above I really enjoyed working with KWord. Thanks to the
all the developers who coded it!

Best wishes,

Jacek Stolarczyk
--
jstolarz@kde.org
net admin for Faculty of Chemistry, Silesian Univ. of Techn., Gliwice, PL