List:       koffice
Subject:    [Fwd: failure to compile, failure to communicate]
From:       william bishop <webishop () ainet ! com>
Date:       2001-09-04 22:50:29

I've attempted to access your bug reporting portals on your site and
have found them non-operational (apparently).  Perhaps this e-mail might
find its way through the maze.

[NOTE:  my first attempt failed, this is my second e-mailing]

This is to note the failure of the KOffice to make on my system.  My CPU
is a 166 MHz Pentium, and the programming environment includes
gcc-2.95.2, kde V2.0 and Qt-x11-2.3.1.  Reading through your FAQ did not
uncover any obvious clue to set the problem right.  The text of my
original message continues:

I downloaded KOffice 1.1 last week, and subsequently downloaded
Qt-x11-2.3.1  Running Make on Qt encountered no problems at all.

Running Make on Koffice fails with warnings and a fatal error.  I am
attaching a summary of the Make results so that someone may be able to
correct the problem.

I apologize for not having the time to roll up my sleeves and dig under
the hood to see what the problem might be, but I'm already caught up in
my own passion, and find spare time to be non-existent.

Judging from the tenor of the warnings, and the error message, it sounds
to me like the program koMainWindow may be lacking one or more
"#include..." statements.

Hopefully you'll be able to fix the release -- I'd really be interested
in being able to review your offering, and perhaps use it as a
replacement suite for the Microsoft abomination.

W.E. Bishop
Around The Bend Software
["make_out.txt" (text/plain)]

	Output of configure shows nothing untoward.

	Make:

		Making all in qt3stuff:
			(no apparent errors)

		Creating libqt3stuff.la:
			(no apparent errors)

		Making all in store:
			(no apparent errors)

		Making all in kwmf:
			(no apparent errors)

		Making all in Kofficecore:
			(breaks down as:)

			/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=compile --Tag=CXX
				c++   (...)   koDocument.cc

			mkdir .libs

			c++   (...)  .libs/koDocument.o

			(...)

			c++  (...)  .libs/koMainWindow.o

			koMainWindow.cc:  In method
				'koMainWindow::koMainWindow(kInstance *, const char * = 0):
			koMainWindow.cc:230: implicit declaration of function 'int
				initialGeometrySet(...)'
			koMainWindow.cc:244: implicit declaration of function 'int
				restoreWindowSize(...)'
			koMainWindow.cc:   In method
				'void koMainWindow::closeEvent(QCloseEvent *)':
			koMainWindow.cc:619: implicit declaration of function 'int
				settingsDirty(...)'
			koMainWindow.cc:624: implicit declaration of function 'int
				saveWindowSize(...)'
			koMainWindow.cc:629: implicit declaration of function 'int
				resetAutoSaveSettings(...)'
			koMainWindow.cc:  In method
				'koMainWindow::resizeEvent(QResizeEvent *):'
			koMainWindow.cc:638: implicit declaration of function 'int
				setSettingsDirty(...)'
			koMainWindow.cc:  In method 'void
				koMainWindow::slotActivePartChanged(KParts::Part *)':
			koMainWindow.cc:1104: implicit declaration of function 'int
				setAutoSaveSettings(...)'
			koMainWindow.cc:1104: warning: cannot pass objects of type 'QCstring'
				through '...'
			koMainWindow.cc:1108: no matching function for call to
				'KXMLGUIFactory::containers (const char[8])'
			make[3]: ***[koMainWindow.lo]  Error 1\par