List:       koffice
Subject:    KOffice's Export filters for MS Office - or lack there of
From:       mmertens () purina ! com
Date:       2001-08-31 20:07:10

On the "KOffice Filters - Status" web
page(http://www.koffice.org/filters/status.phtml), I noticed that for KWork,
KPresenter, and KSpread, under the Microsoft Office rows, an import filter
exists but "N/A" is in the export column.  This puzzles me. Is this because
KOffice can already write MS office documents ?  Or is there something
inherently different about the way KOffice represents information which does
not allow it to be exported to the MSOffice suite ? Or is it because there
are no plans to allow KOffice files to be shared with the non-Linux,
Microsoft client workstations which already have MS Office installed on them
?

Of course you know that the Microsoft office suite is the defacto standard
with over 90% of the market.  The StarOffice people have recognized this and
have filters for saving their documents into MS Office formats. The people
at Corel understand this too since there office suite can be configured to
use the MSOffice formats as the default !  When will this fact of having to
coexist with Microsoft monopolization be recognized as crucially important
to the success of KOffice?

Hopefully, this lack of export filters is just because no one has yet to
step up to code these export filters.  So if you need help with developing
export filters to MS Office, contact me. I will be happy to help you. I am
fluent in C, VB, Smalltalk, java, C++, and cobol and I am used to working in
complex systems of 100,000 plus lines of code.