List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: About TeX as printing engine [Re: Fwd: Re: Application Ideas]
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-08-23 11:12:29

On Thursday 23 August 2001 04:29, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 August 2001 08:59, David Faure wrote:
>
> > Ok, TeX's printed output is indeed great, but how does that go with WYSIWYG
> > ? I mean, either TeX is used only when printing (and the result will be
> > different from the one on screen - as is the case with Lyx/KLyx, AFAIK),
> > or TeX is used both when displaying and when printing, which means we have
> > to display postscript (unless I'm wrong) which is very slow (no doubt
> > there).
>
> DVI. DeVice Independent. This means printed PS of the displayed DVI would
> overrule the WYSIWYG requirement, of course. Perfect printing comes to a
> cost.
Ah, now I understand what DVI is all about - thanks ;)
(Sometimes I wonder why I started to work on a word processor given that I
don't know much about all this :)

But is displaying DVI fast ? How would one do that ?
Doesn't it boil down to parsing a file - just like with PS ?
I guess we don't want that, but rather a way to calculate the DVI result in memory... Hmm.

Lyx/KLyx doesn't display DVI, but some unprecise representation of the text and layout,
that will be converted to LaTeX, right ?

I guess we'll have to borrow ideas/implementations from TeX etc., but I don't
see how we can "switch" to it.