List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: About TeX as printing engine [Re: Fwd: Re: Application Ideas]
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-08-22 12:59:49

On Friday 03 August 2001 14:33, Info wrote:
> Hello to all!

Hello.
No crosspost, I assume you read koffice@.

> For example - as I know (I can mistake), TeX not only place the ready
> fonts in proper places - it GENERATE fonts (using metafonts) in
> dependance of  each text. There are a lot of very thin,
> eyes-invisible moments that makes TeX output so pretty. And everybody
> who want to develope printing system with such quality - must repead
> this moments in his product, because the necessary of them depends
> not on programming requirements, but on human eyes specific.
> Otherwize output of this product will worth than TeX's.
> [....]

Ok, TeX's printed output is indeed great, but how does that go with WYSIWYG ?
I mean, either TeX is used only when printing (and the result will be different from
the one on screen - as is the case with Lyx/KLyx, AFAIK),
or TeX is used both when displaying and when printing, which means we have to
display postscript (unless I'm wrong) which is very slow (no doubt there).

In the first case, it's exactly the job of Lyx/KLyx. Better let it do that, and have
WYSIWYG in KWord. This doesn't prevent having an export filter to Tex/latex, for
those who prefer Tex-like printed quality over WYSIWYG. Oh wait, this is exactly
what we already have....