List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: About TeX as printing engine [Re: Fwd: Re: Application Ideas]
From:       Moritz Moeller-Herrmann <mmh () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-08-05 1:42:31

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 04:43:13PM +0200, Kuba Ober wrote:
> 1. Whole paragraph typesetting on a low level - tries different reneditions
> of same paragraph, and chooses the best one. I imagine that typical
> `handmade' rich-text renedition is done in per-line mode.

Justified Text blocks without changing the distance beween words is also a
thing that is missing from the excrement called MS Word and all other
popular text processors. Changing the distance between words is a horrible
layout because it causes holes to appear in the page, it interrupts the
line, upon which your eyes are fixed while reading a text (that's why you
always use serifs for large printed text blocks).
It would be great if kword implemented this, but you need excellent automatic
hyphenation + the possibility to add manual hyphenation and you need
paragraph wide layouting for this.

None of these are implemented in either kword or QT.

--
Moritz Moeller-Herrmann mmh@gmx.net ICQ# 3585990
wiss. Mitarbeiter, IMGB