List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Kword frames
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-06-04 17:21:05

On Monday 04 June 2001 18:55, Richard Bos wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 May 2001 23:40, David Faure wrote:
> > On Thursday 31 May 2001 00:30, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > Well, I believe this can best be 'fixed' by using ctrl-click to select
> > > frames, even when not in frames-select mode.
> > > ctrl-drag would then move the selected frames like alt-drag does for
> > > kwin.
> >
> > Sounds very good to me, excellent idea.
> > Then we can finally get rid of the corresponding menu items.
>
> This works nice indeed.  How shoud/can I add a picture description under the
> picture and how can the picture be numbered (e.g fig 1.2).

At the moment there's no direct way to do that (I mean, no specific feature),
so you have to use a text frame...

> I made a screenshot, edited it with gimp.  Inserted (F7) it into kword.
> It didn't look nice so I decided to edit (make it smaller) the previously
> inserted picture and inserted it again in kword.  However, the initial
> picture (bigger one) was inserted(!) and the one I edited, tho I know for
> sure that the edited picture was selected (preview in file dialog, pixie,
> etc).  After a copy of the picture to a new name and inserting that one, the
> picture was okay.
> -rw-r--r--   1 richard  users       15665 jun  4 18:14 desktoppager.jpg
> -rw-r--r--   1 richard  users       15665 jun  4 18:30 desktoppagernew.jpg
>
> It seems that kword keeps a buffer for pictures, is that possible?

Yes, very much so. There's an image collection, and when you delete
the image it doesn't get removed from the collection since it's still in
the undo/redo history.
Somehow we need to distinguish the new image as a different one.
Simon: I guess this is the reason for the timestamp stuff in KPresenter.....
Do you see a way to fix this ?

> Wat's the difference between a picture frame and an picture inline?
inline means it's part of the text, like a big character.
"frame" should be "non-inline" now, since both are frames anyway.
non-inline means you can move it freely, it's independent from any text.
We decided we'll change the GUI to a single "insert picture" item and
some dialog box to choose between inline and not inline.....