List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Objects (images, parts, etc) become mis-aligned when printing
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-06-02 8:53:56

On Saturday 02 June 2001 09:35, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> On Friday 01 June 2001 19:02, David Faure wrote:
> [...]
> |
> |   Now, why things break even at zoom == 100% is because KWord _zooms_
> | things even at 100%, to respect the DPI settings (i.e. so that 100% is the
> | size of a real A4/Letter paper on the screen, not just 1 pt for 1 pixel).
> | But since the embedded objects can't zoom, you see a size difference.
> |
> |   So, I'm sorry to say, this bug is in all KOffice applications except
> | KWord - but is triggered by KWord's willingness to zoom things in order to
> | respect the DPI value.
>
> Are there any plans, with QT3 introduction (which is probably able to do
> that), to make DPI switchable?
> My X server suggest that I have 75x75 dpi. Windows - 96x96.
> I don't know who is *right*

Neither. Old X defaulted to 75x75 and Windows defaults to 96x96.
Newer X (XFree 4, maybe not with all screens though) detects the _real_ DPI value.

> But, may be, offering option of "other dpi", at least in apps affected by
> this (Konqi for Web Browsing, KOffice), can be very good for users coming
> from Windows/Mac?

Hmm, I think most user have no clue what the DPI setting is. Myself, I had no
idea about this before starting to develop KWord ;-)

> I know that you can point out to me "to change X settings"
> Unfortunately, there is no KControl module for that. :-(

Ask the kde-sysconfig-project guys :)

The point is: I don't think X can switch DPI at runtime. So this _is_
about changing the X settings. There is no other way that I know.

> Another point: "ask your distributor"
> Well, I am on stock LM, and I got no explanation from Mandrake maintainer of
> XFree86, how dpi is selected by default during installation.

I think XFree86-4 tries to autodetect it (and does a good job on my machine
 - not on my laptop though).

What I could do in KWord, as a temporary measure, is to add a checkbox "respect X resolution",
on by default. By deactivating it, you could resolve the issue with the embedded objects, for now.