List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Objects (images, parts, etc) become mis-aligned when printing
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-06-02 3:36:08

On Friday 01 June 2001 19:02, David Faure wrote:
[...]
|   Now, why things break even at zoom == 100% is because KWord _zooms_
| things even at 100%, to respect the DPI settings (i.e. so that 100% is the
| size of a real A4/Letter paper on the screen, not just 1 pt for 1 pixel).
| But since the embedded objects can't zoom, you see a size difference.
|
|   So, I'm sorry to say, this bug is in all KOffice applications except
| KWord - but is triggered by KWord's willingness to zoom things in order to
| respect the DPI value.

Are there any plans, with QT3 introduction (which is probably able to do
that), to make DPI switchable?
My X server suggest that I have 75x75 dpi. Windows - 96x96.
I don't know who is *right*
But, may be, offering option of "other dpi", at least in apps affected by
this (Konqi for Web Browsing, KOffice), can be very good for users coming
from Windows/Mac?

I know that you can point out to me "to change X settings"
Unfortunately, there is no KControl module for that. :-(

Another point: "ask your distributor"
Well, I am on stock LM, and I got no explanation from Mandrake maintainer of
XFree86, how dpi is selected by default during installation.

So, configurable DPI can be a very big plus :-))
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)