List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Objects (images, parts, etc) become mis-aligned when printing
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-06-01 19:02:16

On Friday 01 June 2001 21:48, Chris Howells wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
>
> > Hmm, it doesn't really look fine on screen here...
> > The embedded object is bigger than the available page width (it goes into the margins).
>
> Hmm, that's weird. It all looks fine to me.
>
> http://chrishowells.co.uk/stuff/kword.png

Indeed. Different DPI settings. See below.

> > KIllustrator doesn't support zooming in paintContent (no app except KWord
> > currently does...) so this leads to problems. I deactivated "zoom when printing"
> > for that reason, but this still means that you get wrong results on screen
> > at zooms other than 100%. Were you using another zoom when you looked on screen ?
>
> OK I understand. However, KWord was 100% zoom, so was Killustrator, not
> sure about KPresenter part, but as I haven't change it, I would assume
> 100 as well...
You got it wrong. The way it should work is that the parent document asks the
embedded objects to draw themselves with a given zoom (the same as itself, obviously !)
Well, this actually happens, but currently no object listens to that requests.

Now, why things break even at zoom == 100% is because KWord _zooms_ things even
at 100%, to respect the DPI settings (i.e. so that 100% is the size of a real A4/Letter paper
on the screen, not just 1 pt for 1 pixel). But since the embedded objects can't zoom, you
see a size difference.

So, I'm sorry to say, this bug is in all KOffice applications except KWord - but is
triggered by KWord's willingness to zoom things in order to respect the DPI value.