List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: kword doc not saved
From:       Eric Sorensen <esorensen () arcormail ! de>
Date:       2001-05-28 23:06:17

> > Choice is important.  If there is no choice YOU are making the choice
> > for the user.
>
> Yes and no. If you apply this statement blindly, then _everything_ ends up
> being configurable, and the whole thing becomes a hell to configure. Just
> like KControl is really getting too crowded now, I don't think this is
> worth a config option. That's the problem with opensource imho: as soon as
> there are different opinions on something, "let's make it configurable"
> comes up. But 99% of the users don't configure things. So choosing a
> reasonable default is MUCH more important than making things configurable.

What hasn't been mentioned is a multi-level Configuration ie. Idiot / Basic /
Expert.  That way everyone can have the best of all worlds.  Reasonable
defaults can be set for people who just "Install & Use".  Flexibility can be
there for people who just gotta have it their way.  Distributors could also
tailor the default settings to add their twist.

Just my humble opinion.	< Eric Sorensen >