List:       koffice
Subject:    RE: kword doc not saved
From:       "David Stidolph" <dstidolph () broadjump ! com>
Date:       2001-05-28 22:17:11

I generally don't like "OK" dialogs because they interrupt work.  If the
user does know the file is read-only it is annoying.  If the user
doesn't understand what "read-only" (Lord help us, there are people like
that - even with Linux users) is your only going to confuse them.

How about a dialog on Save that is a little different.  Something that
would tell them it is read-only and allow them to try to make it
writeable or to change the name?  There are times when I try to edit a
read-only file and I need to update that file, not rename it.  Of course
permissions may not allow me to change the read-only state. :)

This would be the least intrusive I would think.

David Stidolph