List:       koffice
Subject:    RE: Hopeful suggestion for kword
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2001-04-27 12:55:41

Okay, I have answered to your other mail yesterday, now it is time that I
answer also this one.

1. XML
Sorry, but it is not XML that is about separating content from markup.
Putting the formating out of markup has been the task of Cascaded Style
Sheet, so that a same document (when correctly written) might be displayed
on a computer screen, displayed on a mobile phone, printed, rendered into
speech, embossed as braille into paper and so on.

The role of XML was to make a simplier and cheaper to implement version of
SGML. And SGML (for example DocBook) is about document structure.

2. Searching
Nobody would expect to be able to search directly across words in any SGML
format (for examples, DocBook, HTML or XML formats like AbiWord's), because
words can be separated by any inline tag. This has not yet to do anything
with formatting, formatting just add more of those "breaks".
Please take a look at the example of the chapter 2.2 of the CSS2
specification http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2 . This is a XML file and you
will not be able to search "his flute" !
(And even in Rich Text Format, you cannot search like that!)

2. "Mixing The Two Design"
Sorry, here I cannot follow. What is horrible at, for example ((X)HTML +
CSS2):

<h1 class="Heading1">This is a title with <span
style="text-decoration:underline">underlined text</span></h1>

Compare to what would be in a <PARAGRAPH> element in a KWord file to
describe the same.

3. Structures In KWord
Structures are not a problem. (X)HTML has the <div> tag that can help you
there.

4. Just Counting Characters
The problem with "just counting characters" is that XML tools cannot do it,
as this cannot be expressed in any way in a DTD.
When I say XML tools, it also includes other similar tools like Jade.
Additionally you can see in any of KWord's import/export filter how many
work this character counting does, even in the ASCII export filter!

Have a nice day/evening/night!