List:       koffice
Subject:    Kmail problem.
From:       Lex Middelberg <lexattor () iafrica ! com>
Date:       2001-04-20 13:24:47

I have two problems, the first gave rise to the second and both preclude my
using KDE.

Firstly I have set up an old computer with linux Red Hat 7 with Gnome as
default (for the time being and excuse my ignorance - I didn't know better).
I use KDE still version 1.2 or something like that, which came with RH 7.  I
have done this to familiarise myself with Linux before moving my work stuff
over to Linux (as far as feasable).

I can receive and send email through Netscape, but I want to use Kmail.  I
am confident my mail has been set up correctly and the problem is not
related to that.

I can also download mail in Kmail, I can even compose new mail / replies in
Kmail, but when I hit the "send" button nothing happens, absolutely nothing.
The mail doesn't even get sent to the "outbox", it just stays there looking
back at me.

I thought I could avoid having to expend time and intellectual energy on the
problem by upgrading to KDE 2.1, so I downloaded that (through my Win 2k
machine and burnt a CD).  I have read the install manual and followed the
procedures there punctiliously.  Kpackage does not show any dependecy
problems when I query the initial two packages to be installed, but when I
hit "install", it returns a reply that there are missing dependencies.

How do I resolve either of these problems?

Thanks,

Lex.