List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Import Filters
From:       rbe <rbe () flash ! net>
Date:       2001-04-13 6:19:26

On Thursday 12 April 2001 23:55, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> Hi:
>
>  I have several questions about Import Filters on Kword (and
> Kspread).
>
> 1) Since Star Office can read M$ Docs do we really need them
> in Kword?

Star Office can read MS docs, but it is huge, bloated and clumsy
to use for some things.  KWord promises to be at least as good
(probably better if the original vision is followed) in a
relatively tiny memory footprint.  Having MS filters would make
KWord more universally useful.

> 2) From this article here:
> http://www.zdnet.com/enterprise/stories/main/0,10228,2707056,0
>0.html and from what the more experienced UNIX people tell me,
> M$ essential "encrypts" it's documents. That way you have to
> use their Office suite. Is importation a difficult task
> because of this encryption? Will it delay the rollout of
> Koffice 1.1

It's not that fancy an encryption.  It's just that so much is
poorly documented.

> 3) Will Import filters for M$ docs make Kword bloated or
> unstable?

I can't imagine how.

> 4) I am concerned as I saw a request for something called
> "fast saves" on the KDE list.  My fear is that Koffice wil try
> to implement "bug for bug" compatibility with M$.  This I
> believe is happening in GNOME, with it's creation of GNU
> Visual Basic.

A "fast save" in MS Word is a special type of save that does not
save the entire document, but the changes are in a separate
portion, so the file consists of a document followed by one or
more "revisions".  That's why "fast saved" documents are a
harder problem with a filter.  I understand that this problem
has been overcome.

>  I just want to know before I become too reliant on Koffice. I
> would really be upset if the virtues of speed and stability
> were sacrificed to achieve conformance with some shifting M$
> document paradigm.

That is not likely going to be the problem if there are bugs.
At least in Koffice, they are called bugs and not features.

- --
Black Eagle
For Herbs, Incense, Oils and other useful supplies, see
http://www.desertsilver.com
Help Yourself: http://www.hamr.com
Email envelopes: use PGP or GnuPG