List:       koffice
Subject:    Import Filters
From:       Jonathan Drews <j.e.drews () worldnet ! att ! net>
Date:       2001-04-13 4:55:37

Hi:

 I have several questions about Import Filters on Kword (and Kspread).

1) Since Star Office can read M$ Docs do we really need them in Kword?

2) From this article here:
http://www.zdnet.com/enterprise/stories/main/0,10228,2707056,00.html
and from what the more experienced UNIX people tell me, M$ essential
"encrypts" it's documents. That way you have to use their Office suite. Is
importation a difficult task because of this encryption? Will it delay the
rollout of Koffice 1.1

3) Will Import filters for M$ docs make Kword bloated or unstable?

4) I am concerned as I saw a request for something called "fast saves" on the
KDE list.  My fear is that Koffice wil try to implement "bug for bug"
compatibility with M$.  This I believe is happening in GNOME, with it's
creation of GNU Visual Basic.

 I just want to know before I become too reliant on Koffice. I would really
be upset if the virtues of speed and stability were sacrificed to achieve
conformance with some shifting M$ document paradigm.

--
						Cheers,
						Jonathan