List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KWord filters
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-20 8:04:00

Brett Monten wrote:

> On Tuesday 20 March 2001 02:54, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > The filter documentation page is at: http://www.koffice.org/filters .
> > BUT... filters are part of KOffice normally and should be distributed as
> > such.
> >
> > In KWord's "Open" and "Save as" dialog boxes, does the "file type" combo
> > box have only KWord as choice?
> >
> That's correct. All I get is Kword (.kwd) or "All file types (*.*)". If I
> choose a ".doc", I get the error "Could not import file of type
> application/msword".
>
> > If the RPM you have has only KWord and not the complete KOffice, then there
> > may be another RPM where you have found the first.
> >
> > What is your distribution?
> >
> I downloaded koffice-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm, which is 4.8mB, and am running it on
> RH7.0 with KDE2.1. I tried it on my home PC, which has an earlier version of
> KOffice running on KDE2.0, and the filters are there.
>
> I realise the RPM I grabbed is probably just missing the fileters. I guess my
> question is, can I download the fileters, or do I need to re-download and
> reinstall the entire package ?

Unfortunately you are a victim of our sloppy mimetype handling. We
"recognized" WinWord documents only by their .doc extension. As you
probably know there are lots of .doc documents out there which aren't
WinWord documents. Therefore Coolo removed the extension from the
mimetype to highlight the problem and point out that this should be
fixed. There has been some discussion on how it should be done, but
up to now nothing happened, unfortunately.

I'm very clueless about this mimetype issue, but this has to be solved.
David, Coolo, Simon,...: Any hint? I'd try to implement/fix it if you
give me some pointers to documentation or tell me how it should be done.

For now you can replace your msword.desktop file in your mimelnk
folder ($KDEDIR/share/mimelnk/applications or so).
The only thing I did was adding some patterns to the "Patterns="
line.

--
Werner Trobin - trobin@kde.org
["msword.desktop" (application/octet-stream)]