List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Great office suite
From:       RBE <rbe () flash ! net>
Date:       2001-03-18 21:30:04

On Sunday 18 March 2001 14:58, Øystein Sund wrote:
> Hello
>
> I think KOffice is the best free office suite for linux I have tested yet
> compared to staroffice for example.

I like it for speed, but for complicated sites, I prefer Netscape or Star
Office.  Some kinds of secure forward access, for example, authentication of
a password for a site, simply don't work in Konqueror and some frame-based
sites don't work at all well.  Netscape works in almost all sites.  Star
Office is next in functionality and Konqueror is third.  I like it better
than mozilla or opera.  My reasons have to do with speed and the small
footprint in memory.

KWord is broken in frames mode (desktop publishing) while Star Office 5.2
works very well.  I'm waiting for a fix.

> Currently, I am running ver. 2.0.1 because I'm having problems compiling
> koffice.
>
> This is part of the error messages I get when I'm running make:
>  .libs/komlParser.o: In function `KOMLParser::KOMLParser(QDomDocument const
>  &)': .libs/komlParser.o(.text+0x2a): undefined reference to
>  `QDomDocument::QDomDocument(QDomDocument const &)'
>  .libs/komlParser.o(.text+0x3c): undefined reference to
	(snip)

I'm not sure that koffice works well with any qt beyond 2.3.0.  I'm using
2.2.4 and it works fairly well (as noted above).

> Does the newest ver. of koffice support office97 data?
> I'm having trouble loading my office97 documents.

Support for MS Office 97 is limited to fairly simple documents.  95 docs have
even more problems at this writing, but it is developing rapidly.  Stay
tuned.  Star Office documents, if saved in Office 97 format seem to work
fairly well.  Using "fast-save" in Word produces real headaches in KWord as
both the old and new versions are preserved.  Do a "full-save" before trying
an import.

> If you help me with this, I will post the solution to the problem on the
> newsgroups I use to help the (norwegian) linux community which I am a part
> of.

- --
Black Eagle
For Herbs, Incense, Oils and other useful supplies, see
http://www.desertsilver.com
Help Yourself: http://www.hamr.com
Email envelopes: use PGP or GnuPG