List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: kword: header assymetry
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-03-06 23:18:10

On Tuesday 06 March 2001 21:23, you wrote:
> > > I need to create a newsletter in which there is a title page without
> > > any header and subsequent body pages with alternating header
> > > content. I get the impression that such an option does not exist, but
> > > would be very happy to know that I'm wrong.
> >
> > In the Page Layout dialog (Format/Page), you can change a radio-button
> > to state that you want a different header for the first page. Just tested it,
> > it works :)
>
> I'm not getting to first base on this, even with alternate page
> headers.
>
> For one thing, I apparently do not know the proper sequence to create
> alternate-page headers. If I start with an empty doc, and then go to
> Format, Page, Header and Footer, to click "Different Header for Even and
> Odd pages," I must then toggle View, Header to actually create the
> header. I can then enter text into the header frame.
>
> This seems to create the same header for all pages in spite of the
> page format. So if text wraps to page 2 (kword has no way to tell you
> the page and line of the insertion point?), a header show up on this
> page, but it is an un-editable copy of the header on page 1. That is,
> I'm actually getting the same header on all pages.
>
> If I instead start with View, Header first, and then define page format
> for alternate page headers, I have the same problem.

Oh, so alternating doesn't work ? I didn't test it yet - I only started
to work on KWord recently. Will look, and fix if necessary.

> I infer from your note that the unique page radio button should not be
> a radio button in the group that defines the type of header, but an
> independent check box that affects only the header on page one despite
> the type of header chosen. Does that mean you set up page format to
> support alternate page headers and then go to page 1 and click that
> page one button so that the header on page one can be edited without
> changing the headers on any subsequent pages?

That's very much correct. Didn't realise. Will fix - this has to wait for
the new KWord to be in HEAD, it's going to break the old one otherwise.

I don't think you can do this meanwhile - it's definitely a single setting
at the moment... The best is to use two documents, yes.