List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: kword: header assymetry
From:       <brownh () hartford-hwp ! com>
Date:       2001-03-06 21:23:10

> > I need to create a newsletter in which there is a title page without
> > any header and subsequent body pages with alternating header
> > content. I get the impression that such an option does not exist, but
> > would be very happy to know that I'm wrong.
>
> In the Page Layout dialog (Format/Page), you can change a radio-button
> to state that you want a different header for the first page. Just tested it,
> it works :)

I'm not getting to first base on this, even with alternate page
headers.

For one thing, I apparently do not know the proper sequence to create
alternate-page headers. If I start with an empty doc, and then go to
Format, Page, Header and Footer, to click "Different Header for Even and
Odd pages," I must then toggle View, Header to actually create the
header. I can then enter text into the header frame.

This seems to create the same header for all pages in spite of the
page format. So if text wraps to page 2 (kword has no way to tell you
the page and line of the insertion point?), a header show up on this
page, but it is an un-editable copy of the header on page 1. That is,
I'm actually getting the same header on all pages.

If I instead start with View, Header first, and then define page format
for alternate page headers, I have the same problem.

I infer from your note that the unique page radio button should not be
a radio button in the group that defines the type of header, but an
independent check box that affects only the header on page one despite
the type of header chosen. Does that mean you set up page format to
support alternate page headers and then go to page 1 and click that
page one button so that the header on page one can be edited without
changing the headers on any subsequent
pages?

Haines Brown