List:       koffice
Subject:    RE: Can't get kword to run
From:       Paul Tremblay <phthenry () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2001-02-22 16:10:29

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Nicolas GOUTTE wrote:

>Could you test by starting KWord using the function key Alt-F2 in KDE instead
of in bash?

I tried this exactly as you said, and nothing happened.

> - Does KDE in general works for you without problems?

Yes, very well, I believe. For example, I am using kmail to compose this
message. I have used Kmail for 3 weeks with complete success. KDE has not
crashed once.

> - As your path is "/opt/kde2", I suppose that your are working with a
> distribution (SuSE, Redhat... ) and not with a self-compiled version. Which
> distribution? Which version of KDE is it? (2.01?)

I am using SuSE 7.0. How would I find out which version of KDE I am using? I
installed the binary version.

> - Is it perhaps a known bug of your distribution? Does a corrected version
> of the package exist? (It may also be QT, kdesupport, kdelibs or kdebase!)

I don't know if this is a known bug. How would I find that out?
What did you mean by "(It may also be QT, kdesupport, kdelibs or kdebase!)?"

When I contacted SuSE about his problem, they suggested I go to their site at
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/ppc/KDE2/ and download the latest version of KDE.
However, when I went to this site, I found a confusing array of folders.

Do you suggest I download the source and compile it myself? I am a newbie, and
have never compiled source before, but I could try all the same.

Also, I should mention that I am using a Umax 600 computer. This uses the
Motorola chip, which is not the most common chip.

Thanks in advance

Paul Tremblay