List:       koffice
Subject:    Mail client in KOffice (was: RE: hiaaa!!!)
From:       Nicolas GOUTTE <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2001-02-16 10:49:04

1. Mail client

I am sorry but I cannot understand why you want KMail into KOffice. From
what you are writing, you seem to find KMail useful, so why do you want to
remove it from KDE-Network and put it into KOffice?

If I recall correctly, it has been decided that KOffice would *not* include
an email client for a few reasons, including:
- there are already at least two email clients in the whole KDE world!
- we are too few developers for KOffice, so nobody sees a need to (or has
time to) create functionnality covered elsewhere in KDE.
- email clients are not seen as a core functionnality for an office suite.

But perhaps I have not understood why you think that a combination of a
mail client and an office suite is so important.

A guess: is using KWord as a composer for the email client important for
you? If it is, I think it should be done in another way. (But this would be
for the long-term to-do list, I am afraid!)

2. KDE's size

Okay, even if talking about KDE's size is perhaps off-topic for the KOffice
mailing list, I will still say something about it.

If KDE is big, it is also that KDE can do much. You can look at other
similar projects (e.g. GNOME) and you will find that they are not small
either.

3. KDE's speed

If you have problems with KDE's speed, verify your settings for Arts (KDE's
sound support). It has been reported many times that wrong settings for
Arts are killing KDE (in particular if Arts is set to be in real time.) One
rough test is to switch it off and to look at the speed difference.

4. The End

All this is my own opinion and may not correspond to the opinion of other
KDE and KOffice developpers.