List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: [OT?] XML (from openoffice) usage description
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-02-12 16:32:57

Monday 12 February 2001 13:12, Nicolas GOUTTE ΞΑΠΙΣΑΜ:
|   Filters for openoffice will certainly be written, if any volunteers are
|   found.
|   However for now and for at least near future, KOffice has its own native
|   file formats.
|   The problem of not controlling your own native file formats is that you
| can be blocked to delevelop new ideas. For example, KWord's DTP modus is
| quite difficult to integrate in any of the current word-processor file
| format (therefore I suppose in openoffice too!) You have also to ensure
| that *any* KOffice part embed in your document can be saved too!

Fully agree here.
KDE develops with *amaazing* speed, there is no reason why you should delay
it.
And, yes, I guess by using OpenOffice (ar whatever-Office) file standards it
will be delayed.

And, just think about new-generation apps coming, fully assembled from
Objects. MS Office is too bloated and fat, the same is valid for OpenOffice.
KOffice need filters for them, that's it...

<snip>
|   Is there any effort to make KOffice's DTDs compatible with openoffice or
|   to even just use those of openoffice?  Is that even a desirable goal or
|   are there good reasons not to do so?

So, I think these are good reasons, no?

BTW: when I wanted to compile OpenOffice (55MB of sources, sh*it!), RPM
requested from me Java.
Hell, I decided to skip OpenOffice after it at all. I don't need/want Java on
my computer.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)