List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Question and suggestion about KOffice file formats
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-01-17 23:14:49

On Wednesday 17 January 2001 23:04, Jeff Moyes wrote:
> Dear KOffice Developers,
>
> Unfortunately I have not had much time/luck in trying to get a linux
> box+KDE+KOffice up so I haven't been able to get enough background
> information to know if the following might be feasible.  I know that KOffice
> has xml based file formats. I assume not just the data is stored in xml but
> the way that information is presented would also have to be stored in the
> xml file.  Due to this would it be possible to perform XSLTransformations on
> say a KWord (or other KOffice app (that's why I'm sending this to the
> general KOffice email address) document to convert it to say XSL Formatting
> Objects.
>
> If this is possible it would be incredible. With the right XSLT stylesheets
> KOffice would become a WYSIWYG XSLFO generator! (It would be the best XSLFO
> software available.
> Also, by piping the output XSLFOs into Apache's FOP KOffice would then be
> able to make PDF files!

Yes, you could do that.
You would first need to extract the XML file out of the koffice document,
which is in fact a TAR.GZ file (see the FAQ). Then, that XML file is just
like any other one - you can apply XSLT transformations to it.
If you happen to write such stylesheets, please send them around here ! :-)

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/