List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KDE web group?
From:       Marco Krohn <Marco.Krohn () stud ! uni-hannover ! de>
Date:       2001-01-09 23:26:44

On Tuesday 09 January 2001 22:01, Nikolas Zimmermann wrote:

Hi,

> A non coder won't know what happend to KDE CVS ... IMHO

I am not sure if I understand your statement correctly but I have seen a lot
of non-coders which know how to use CVS - it is not that difficult and not
everybody needs an account (e.g. the i18n teams).

> and i really think we don't need everything what gnome needs

Sorry, for being a bit unclear. I do _not_ think KDE needs a web group
because gnome has one, but I think that the KDE project has the same problems
with their web pages as the gnome project, e.g. different styles, not up to
date, looking a bit confusing. My points are:

* better design for the "normal" user
  (coders tend to create web pages which look too technical)
* have a consistant look of the web pages
  right now they look like a bunch of different applications which share
  nothing except the kde label (e.g. kdevelop / koffice)
* more time for coders since they don't have to think about design issues

All I want to say is that the web page counts a LOT and that the existing
coders shouldn't waste their time with web design. I am quite sure that there
are a lot of people who know how to make nice web pages and want to get
involved with KDE. And as far as I know (I know only three) professional web
designers also know how to use photoshop or similar programs; they have the
creativity / talent to make koffice look good (which it is :-).

What I suggest is:

* to think about which projects (koffice, kdevelop) should be
  maintained by a web group
* decide who can do the job to lead such a group for some time
* setup a discussion group
* make an anouncement on dot.kde

and now flame me ;-)

   Yours sincerely,