List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: New Koffice-Filter WebPrototype WITH LINK - Sorry
From:       "Shaheed Haque" <shaheedhaque () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2000-12-17 22:45:14

Enno,

>Do we have a filter for MS PPT 97 Files (for killu. or kpres.??)

I believe that the MSOD filter will handle MS PPT files because the MSOD
documentation mentions that PPT uses the "Escher" format I call MSOD.
However, I have not yet tried it...it may be that PPT mbeds MSOD in some
other gunk first. If someone could try it, that would be great (just look
for plausible debug output...it needs a bit more work before it will draw
stuff reliably).

For Office 97, MSOD/Escher is supposed to replace "the existing drawing
layers of Powerpoint, Word and Excel". But Microsoft documentation often,
errr, oversimplifies things. So, MSOD should be a rather important filter.

However, you find for example that a Word picture is written as a thin MSOD
wrapper around a WMF file (or at least, that is my current experience...I'm
learning this crap as I go along...and hence the recent reorg of WMF logic
into koffice/lib/kwmf).

>Can the MS word, exel, ppt filter import  MS Office Files of Version 2000
>or
>MS Office 95 Files.

The word filter can. Sort of. The 2000 issue is that some structures have
been extended, so that provided the code in certain places is written
defensively enough, it will work (similarly, in my experience, Word 97 will
read files written by Word 2000). The code tries for Word 95 support, but I
seem to have lost formatting somewhere along the line and I consider it a
low priority to fix.

I cannot speak for the other apps.

Thanks, Shaheed