List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: about KDE 2.0 release
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2000-10-22 6:27:47

Navindra Umanee wrote:

> Andreas Pour <pour@mieterra.com> wrote:
> > Why is that not true?  Please explain so I can fix it.  As to
>
> Is it freeware or free completely in the BSD sense?  Probably not.

OK, you are right, in this sense no software is free, as RMS will tell
you BSD/X is not free and BSD/X will tell you GNU is not free.  I don't
want to start a jihad here, the point is that reasonable people will not
say it's not free (as they were saying before).

[ ... ]

> Cc'ed to koffice@kde.org -> Guys, is this KOffice 1.0 or a KOffice
> preview?

The choice is not binary :-).  The question is, should the KOffice
release be qualified in some way, or should it be treated the same as
the other packages (kdebase, kdelibs) of the release.

> > > I think aRts actually does more than just sound...  so maybe call it a
> > > "multimedia architecture" and not limit to sound.  MPEG1 and DiVX are
> > > supported already, I believe.
> >
> > If you find out for sure please let me know; my understanding is that
> > video is planned but not yet supported (noatun is for that IIRC).  Also,
> > please give me the command so I can try it!, that would be cool.
>
> Well, I know for sure that Stefan W. has designed it as and promotes
> it as a multimedia architecture...  even if it mainly supports sound
> mainly at present.  (See Antonio's email for other media supported
> already).

OK, I just found
http://www.arts-project.org/doc/kde2-status/status.html, so I'll update
it.  But as I don't truly understand how it works maybe someone can
write the sentence that explains how it plays multimedia -- since it
relies on external frontends (like kaiman and kjukebox) I don't know
exactly what it's role is.

Here is the arts paragraph so far, please feel free to explain the video
features:

KDE 2 introduces a new multimedia architecture based on <A
NAME="arts">aRts</A>,the Analog Realtime Synthesizer. For audio, aRts
enables playing multiple sound
streams concurrently as well as playing sounds over a network. ARts is a
full-featured sound system, and includes filters, a modular analog
synthesizer
and a mixer.  Its architecture allows developers to create
additional filter plugins and users to apply sequences of filters using
graphical drag-n-drop approach.  For video, ...

[ ... ]

Ciao,

Andreas Pour

http://www.kde.com/ :  Everything KDE