Navindra Umanee wrote: > > Andreas Pour wrote: > > Why is that not true? Please explain so I can fix it. As to > > Is it freeware or free completely in the BSD sense? Probably not. OK, you are right, in this sense no software is free, as RMS will tell you BSD/X is not free and BSD/X will tell you GNU is not free. I don't want to start a jihad here, the point is that reasonable people will not say it's not free (as they were saying before). [ ... ] > > Cc'ed to koffice@kde.org -> Guys, is this KOffice 1.0 or a KOffice > preview? The choice is not binary :-). The question is, should the KOffice release be qualified in some way, or should it be treated the same as the other packages (kdebase, kdelibs) of the release. > > > > I think aRts actually does more than just sound... so maybe call it a > > > "multimedia architecture" and not limit to sound. MPEG1 and DiVX are > > > supported already, I believe. > > > > If you find out for sure please let me know; my understanding is that > > video is planned but not yet supported (noatun is for that IIRC). Also, > > please give me the command so I can try it!, that would be cool. > > Well, I know for sure that Stefan W. has designed it as and promotes > it as a multimedia architecture... even if it mainly supports sound > mainly at present. (See Antonio's email for other media supported > already). OK, I just found http://www.arts-project.org/doc/kde2-status/status.html, so I'll update it. But as I don't truly understand how it works maybe someone can write the sentence that explains how it plays multimedia -- since it relies on external frontends (like kaiman and kjukebox) I don't know exactly what it's role is. Here is the arts paragraph so far, please feel free to explain the video features: KDE 2 introduces a new multimedia architecture based on aRts,the Analog Realtime Synthesizer. For audio, aRts enables playing multiple sound streams concurrently as well as playing sounds over a network. ARts is a full-featured sound system, and includes filters, a modular analog synthesizer and a mixer. Its architecture allows developers to create additional filter plugins and users to apply sequences of filters using a graphical drag-n-drop approach. For video, ... [ ... ] Ciao, Andreas Pour http://www.kde.com/ : Everything KDE http://apps.kde.com/: The Latest in KDE Applications