List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: koffice/kspread/extensions
From:       Laurent montel <montell () club-internet ! fr>
Date:       2000-10-15 16:22:10

David Faure wrote:

> Hi Bernd,
>
> There is a huge communication problem here :-)
> The mail you received wasn't from me, but from Laurent Montel,
> who takes care of kspread currently.
>
> On Dimanche 15 Octobre 2000 13:25, Bernd Johannes Wuebben wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I thought KDE 2.0 was tagged and what I see is the development
> >branch. My modificatons are trivial. No need to worry about
> >them but a spreadsheet without rand() is really not very useful.

Hi Bernd,
For me there is not a problem to add this function.
It's a good idea but not now.
I look at your code, and I think that it's a good code.
But you added a lot of string, and it's not good for translater.

And for the moment we are in freeze period.
So before to comit you must send your patch.
That's all.

> 2.0 is not tagged yet (should be tomorrow or so).
>
> About rand, I don't know, I'll let Laurent decide on that.
>
> >Just undo the commit if you mistrust it.
>
> I think the matter at hand is translations, not mistrust about the coding.
>
> >CVS by wuebben wrote:
> >
> >>If you want used Excel, used Wine+Excel.
> >>We implement very important functions on kspread, but I know that there is
> >>missing function, but it's not the moment to modify kspread.
> >
> >There are things the does Excel very right. David, I can't believe
> >I get a response like that from you.
>
> Wasn't from me.
> I forwarded you the mail, because I knew you were not reading kde-cvs.

It's my mail (sorry david).

I am sorry, but I worked more than 1 year on kspread
Torben worked a lot of on kspread, david etc...
and I think that write :
"it will be the slowest spreadsheet on this planet"
it's not good for us, there are some problem on kspread, but we worked a lot
of on kspread, perhaps it's slow but it's work, and I think that you can used
kspread in this version.

I don't want to copy Excel, I used some idea of kspread, but I don't want
to create a Excel clone.
Otherwise I used wine+Excel, and it's more easy.

> >I could just as well say: If you want a GUI use Windows!
> >Good things need to be emulated and developed further.
> >It doesn't make any sense to come up with
> >different but inferior solutions.
>
> Let's drop this topic, it goes nowhere.
>
> I think the point here is : please make sure that committing is allowed before
> doing so. If you don't know if the current policy is "sending patches to mailing-list"
> or "development branch, everyone can commit", better assume the former.
>
> Thanks.

bye