List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Compatibility Issues
From:       "Shaheed Haque" <shaheedhaque () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2000-09-28 8:33:24

Hi Dean,

Since I am currently Mr. MsWord filter, I'll add my 2c here...the other
filter writers will have their own opinions.

>... Which is great, but it was stated that an export filter
>would probably never be developed.  I think that this would be a big
>shortcoming, since MS Office is currently everywhere around me, I cannot
>even suggest using something at work that is not compatible in both
>directions.

It is my priority by far to get as functional an import facility as
possible. However, the architecture and the tools I have used specifically
lend themselves to the writing of an export capability too.

On the other hand, my need for such a capability is limited at present. So
the reality is that the Web site accurately reflects my priorities, at least
for now.

>  ...I feel that the best thing some one could do would be to
>write a system that is completely compatible with all the other major
>systems.  I am no programmer, but I know that this is not easy, and
>probably
>not even possible, but should be done with at least the biggest.  I just
>don't like to see the type of close mindedness that I saw reading those
>FAQ's concerning this subject.

Of course you are right: I think the FAQs merely reflect the reality of
limited time.

>      Well if you are still reading this thanks for your time, and I hope I
>didn't offend you....

Sure thing. And input like your is exactly what is needed to help shape my
future priorities too!

Thanks, Shaheed