List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: RE: koffice translations!!!
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-09-27 13:57:50

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:43:57 +0200, Thomas Diehl wrote:

>Torben is so nice as to implement what many non-English users asked: being
>able to enter numbers in kspread using their locale.
>Well, in many languages, it's the comma that is used for the decimal point,
>and kspread used to use the comma for separating arguments passed to a
>koscript function call. But it can't be both, otherwise myfunc(1,2,3) could
>mean a lot of different things !
>So, as decided since quite a long time now, he fixes this, turning the comma
>into a semicolon, which isn't a decimal point for anyone.
>Of course the examples had to be fixed ! It's pointless to have examples,
>otherwise.

Well, I was one of those who complained that the decimal points don't
make any sense in German and that we'd need commas (in the program and
the examples). So I'm glad this is fixed, of course.

But how come that Stephan Kulow says he was told all those changes
could happen with strings that were already there? And why wasn't it
possible to fix the strings in a way that just turns them fuzzy instead
of letting them appear totally untranslated? And why, finally, wasn't
it possible to tell us some time in advance if this move was "decided
since quite a long time now"?

Seems there's a pretty serious communication problem around here.

Regards,

Thomas

---
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/