List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Response to Dennis E. Powell
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2000-09-26 9:33:44

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, John Califf wrote:
|  Dennis, I did read the Shawn Gordon interview very carefully. You did an
|  excellent interview and showed great skills as an interviewer in getting
|  your subject to open up.  You need not apologize for the interview
|  because you did your job too well.
|

|  I don't think Shawn Gordon is evil, only human. It is only human to want
|  to have control over what you invest in.  In the interview he clearly
|  indicated a desire for that kind of control over what he's paying for.
|  This is not a matter of my not wanting to get along, for Christ's sake,
|  but of whether independent developers will feel like contributing to a
|  commercial (though open) project without getting paid. I certainly
|  won't.
John,
You are free, ABSOLUTELY FREE, to start your own project, either Commercial
or Open-Source, based on KOffice. Are you ready?
I would say, that we need KOffice now (3 month time), not in one or 2 years
later. And I suggest, it's great that somebody took care about it.

|  The fact is that activity on this list has been lacking, and I am sorry
koffice-devel started recently. I haven't subscribed yet, as it's not clear
where to subscribe. Koffice-devel, pls advise.

|  for being a provocateur but the focus needs to be moved back to this
|  list, and away from commercial channels.  If this contiues KOffice will
|  effectively become a commercial open source project, as more and more
|  activity moves away from Kde and this list and into commercial
|  management.  I don't want that to happen.  It will become another
|  Mozilla.  It's spirit will die.
see another mail from me - KDE/Windows/Free Society

About Mozilla.
I agree. It's really disappointment. And the way it's managed - one of the
reasons.

--
Vadim Plessky
KDE, a friendly face of Linux