List:       koffice
Subject:    KDE/Windows/MacOS/Free Society [Re: Response to Dennis E. Powell]
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2000-09-26 9:33:28

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, John Califf wrote:
|  The fact is that activity on this list has been lacking, and I am sorry
|  for being a provocateur but the focus needs to be moved back to this
|  list, and away from commercial channels.  If this contiues KOffice will
|  effectively become a commercial open source project, as more and more
|  activity moves away from Kde and this list and into commercial
|  management.  I don't want that to happen.  It will become another
|  Mozilla.  It's spirit will die.

some [OFF-TOPIC] from my side.
I like Windows [95/98]. Well, I can't say that I LOVE Windows, but system, in
general, nice. Yes, it crashes everyday, and every hour if you browse
intensevly sites from KDE Bug Reports :-)  /I was doing extensive testing of
several sites, trying to make them working with Konqueror/
But, Netscape is much worser... Mozilla not working... Opera hangs ond even
simple sites...
And, at a moment, I HAVE to work with Windows.

And I don't like OS/2, because it was ugly, slow and unreliable. On top of
lack of software available.
Every time somebody was complaining: Windows is bad, Must Die, of whatever, I
tell the people: "Write your own Windows!"
I have the same answer to Larry Elington/Oracle and Scott McNeil/Sun, when
they were claiming "future is the network computer!"  /Dennis Powell, please
listen :-) /
5 years later: Nothing happen...

Same message to IBM. IBM spent more then 1 Billon USD (!!) on OS/2 project,
and where it is?

Apple. It was so nice when Apple started MacOS licensing. But, it almost
ruined the company (Apple). Steve Jobs saved the company and shareholder's
value, but HAD to stop licensing. Now we have MacOS X Beta for $30... Beta,
and you still pay money for it.

Well, I belive, now we have that response implemented in real code. And FREE
OF CHARGE.
I mean: KDE. KDE2.
            ------------------
First, it has all features of modern GUI. Second, it's fast and stable. Third,
but not the last. It's free.
On top of it, I was really surprised, that developers started KOffice. (wow!)
It's really challenge. I'd like to see Bill Gates' face when KOffice
completed...
/well, I like Bill Gates - sorry geeks - and think that he is one of the best
managers on planet. Not Programmers, but Managers! He has a fight with Big
Blue and won - congratulations. He won fight against Oracle - which was much
larger in databases. And won againts mighty Apple with de-facto GUI standard
MacOS. He is VERY CLEVER guy. I treat Bill Gates as competitor. And believe
can compete with him, thanks to Open Source/

And, if somebody found some resources to finance this day happen earlier -
let's thank him. Or them.
If I find some resources in nearest future - I will do the same. I will put
money in financing this day happen.
Now I put my knoledge and experience.
/advice: do not take money from Larry/Oracle and Scott/Sun. They will USE YOU,
for sure. The only things they are interested, is to make money for their own
companies. That's why, for example, I think GNome foundation will finally
fail./

Free Scoiety is when everybody does whatever want. (but, you can't kill other
people, rob them, etc...)  Unfortunately, Free Society doesn't exist. People
are killed and robed every day. And people have to use money to buy cars,
houses and even for everyday's living...
But, OpenSource is some iteration to Free Society, to my mind. Let's hope, all
it will happen. And let everyone contributes something - money, freetime,
knoledge, etc.

If you don' like how KOffice is developing at a moment - implement your own
way. It's Free Society... (at least, in Internet)
Don't like KOffice - implement your own office suit. Make it BETTER.

|  This is a matter of whether other KOffice developers want this to
|  primarily be a free project or a commercial open source project.  If
|  relevant technical and other discussions don't happen on this list,
|  where are they happening?  theKompany is free to do anything it wants
|  with the code or pay anybody it wants.  It is a matter of what people
|  involved want and I am not trying to force anybody to do anything.
|
|  This has broken my heart, a little.  I will go away for a few days and
|  hope that other people will think about these issues and what kind of
|  project they want KOffice to be.
Take care. We need you.

|  Think again and stop apologizing,
It's never late to apologize. Wisdom people never hesitate to apologize.

|  John Califf

My Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky
KDE, a friendly face of Linux