List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Shawn Gordon Interview - disturbing
From:       Navindra Umanee <navindra () cs ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2000-09-26 2:27:42

It sounds like he's referring to projects started by theKompany such
as Kivio, reKall, etc....  he wants to keep those somewhat closed and
controlled but I don't think he means KDE code such as KWord, KSpread,
KImageShop, etc...  That makes more sense.  It does seem to be
something of an unfortunate dichotomy, but if it's open source, I
suppose you can always check the stuff in to KDE CVS if you have a
reason.  :)

It would be nice if we could all get along.  Why don't they consider
working more like Eazel does?  Eazel manages to work with the GNOME
community, right?

John Califf <jcaliff@usit.net> wrote:
> First, KOffice was well established and most of the coding was done long
> before the Kompany paid anybody.  Secondly, it is highly improper to
> move the focus of ongoing KOffice projects to a commercial site.  If the
> Kompany starts new components that work with KOffice or enhance it, that
> is different. Anyone can fork the code, or contribute new components.

Well, it's all in KDE CVS so what's the worse they can do?  They can
fork if they want, and if the code is free, you can take anything you
like from them, but I don't think that's what they are doing.

> I would like for Shawn Gordon to clarify these things, but
regardless of

That would be nice.  I should have read that article carefully...
just glanced over it unfortunately.  :(

-N.