List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Kword - Good and Bad News
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-09-25 8:53:20

> The good news is that I have completed work on a major upgrade to the
> scrolling  and several bugfixes for mouse handling.

OK, nice.

> Regarding discussions recently about documentation, etc.

Kword really need a lot of work. One thing we are going to do is complete
redisign everything beneath frames and pages (most of that is allready done).
Meaning that the paragraphs etc will be replaced in some time.

Concerning docs, well if the classes and methods get a nice description
it would help. But like most of us I don't really have any time to do that.
Plust there is always the threat of over-documenting the code.
My believe is that you should put in global comments like:
  if (xx) { // when we need a new page..
    // do xxx

NOT every line or block needs comments. (and not every claim needs 10 lines
of text to defend them, but thats mainly a problem with email conversations)

> One thing I have tried to do is to increase the amount of discussion on
> this mailing list, which seemed very inactive for such an important
> project - all of KOffice.

We do discuss this stuff, in fact I have had long discussions about structures
and usability just Saturday.

> In my
> opinion there are only a few big usability issues remaining, like frame
> borders for new frames

These are known issues and I am working on them. There are just severe
limitations to what I can do in any amount of time. Also look at the TODO
file which is my public "the future of kword" thing.