List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Suggestion for new koffice component
From:       Shawn Gordon <shawn-gordon () home ! com>
Date:       2000-09-16 13:52:29

Wolfgang Schreiter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while playing around with Linux/KDE I hit upon the koffice site (didn't know about \
> this effort). Now here's my suggestion for a component (not really original ;-): a \
> Visio (now MS-something)-like tool to create diagrams consisting of shapes, \
> typically nodes and arcs, as used in various disciplines (e.g. software and network \
> engineering). I find Visio quite useful and participated in a similar effort at IBM \
> years ago (OS/2 PM and MS Windows based). At the time - long before Visio - we had \
> a shape compiler and interactive design tool and a fully programmable runtime \
> (originally intended as CASE-tool front-end) - and even sold a few copies!. A pity \
> IBM never really understood the desktop...
> Unfortunately, my programming skills are a bit rusty nowadays, and my vacation will \
> soon be over, so doing it myself would take ages (much as I'd like to...).
> Kind regards and good luck
> Wolfgang Schreiter

Hi Wolfgang,

It's already in progress, called Kivio.  You can see
www.thekompany.com/projects/kivio/ for some details.  We should have
some screenshots up in the next few days and get the web site better
updated as well.  We are getting pretty close to a technology preview
release here.

Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President