List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Katabase development
From:       Shawn Gordon <shawn-gordon () home ! com>
Date:       2000-08-25 14:17:40

Jacques Chester wrote:

> > My company is starting work on a new project (in cooperation with
> > the KSql  people) that will build a new data access framework for
> > KDE that will be  accessible pretty much anywhere.
>
> Is this:
>
>  * An Access-like graphical RDMBS system, or
>  * A collection of data-access KParts, or
>  * both?

2 projects, one is the collection of data-access KParts, we will be
working with the KSql team on this portion.  The second is an MS Access
type system which we will be building.

> I did some database programming (basically we
> rediscovered the joys of RDMBS by writing a small
> one) recently. Relational and OO paradigms were
> made to be together. It really is a beautiful
> thing to be able to fling around objects that
> represent databases, records, tables, and searches
> on tables.
>
> You can store searches as objects. Tell them to
> print themselves (in our case). Tell the search
> to update itself (requery the DB). Tell the DB
> to save itself to disk. Ask the DB for two
> tables only, then copy your first search object,
> and apply it over those tables. And so on.

well, if you haven't already, you should subscribe to the KSql list so
everyone can take advantage of your knowledge :)

> I know KSQL was for the Access-like frontend.
> But are you going to do developer stuff on the
> backend? I'd much rather deal with a few KParts
> than with raw SQL (if I can help it).

KSql was never really Access-like, it was I think a long term goal, but
it was more of a graphical maintainer and data browser.  Our project
will tie into some of our other projects and will incorporate the Python
based VeePee as part of the engine for writing queries and reports,
rather like AccessBasic.  There will be a wealth of widgets for creating
full applications as well.

> >  Specs and things will follow in the near
> > future, but as is often the case, we need to come up with a name
> > our end  user DBMS for KOffice.  Katabase isn't too bad actually,
> > but how about  spelling it KaDEbase (the DE doesn't necessarily
> > need to be
> > capitalized).  Or possibly KlariDE?
>
> KnowBase? (probably taken, trademarked, reg'd etc).
> KnoBase
> Kobase
> Kase
> Datakase
> kollector
> Rekall
> Rekollection
> Knosis
> Kermit (I just like that name, ok? :)
> Kleardata

I rather like Rekall

> Just some ideas coming to mind. Or even:
>
> KDBC *laughs*
>
> > As always, I'm interested in any input or ideas.
> >

> You guys are doing good work. You should try and
> kick out for some more PR, methinks.

Thanks.  Despite all the Microsoftian vaporware, pre-announce tacticts
that many of our "friends" are starting to use, we would still prefer to
be at a technology preview release (something you can at least download
and run) before we make an announcement.  That said, watch for
announcements starting in about a month :).

> > Regards,
> >
> > Shawn Gordon
>
> be well;
>
> JC.