List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Problem with Kword inserting pictures
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-06-28 9:59:09

> Hi,
>
> Werner Trobin wrote:
> >
> > We definitely need an image container in kofficeui. Reggie promised
> > to give it a try, but he is really busy :)
> > Basicly it has to:
> > - Store the image, the filename, a unique "key" to find/reuse the image
> > - Know/generate the internal path (in the tgz storage structure)
> > - load/save itself (and all the images) - this includes the distiction
> >   between internal/external images and so on...
> > - everything I've forgotten now :)
> >
> > --
> > Werner Trobin - wtrobin@mandrakesoft.com
>
> Another case:
> Let me embed an external killu doc into kword. After a copy and paste of
> the
> embedded image in kword, I want to modify only or not only the second
> one.
> Then there should be a short dialog ?Modify all these Images?? ...?

This is offcource totally illiminated when the user is aware that the
copy is always external.

Again, I'll have to think about this for a bit.

> In any case the user should have the choice to do it the best way he
> thinks
> of - with defaults for "simple&small" Documents.
>
> And, if I want to print a document, I want it to have at least the
> resolution
> of the printer, say, some logo in the header. So, the image will be
> rather big.

One thing I find is often the case with quark. People import an image
4 times in a document and use it on the front cover in 300 DPI (10cm)
and use it as a thumbnail somewhere else. which makes the resolution
3000 DPI (because the same image was scaled to 1cm)

These images are printed in whole to the postscript file, often creating
HUGE files. (Think Gigabytes here)

Designers SHOULD rescale the images themselves!! How this is done in kword
stays open for discussion.