List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Python scripting in KOffice
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-06-21 23:18:50

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 03:59:12PM -0700, Shawn Gordon wrote:
> If I recall the history correctly, in the beginning there was Python for
> scripting.
Yes.

> Which then begat KScript for KSpread (a C like scripting language).
A language adapted to formulas in kspread.
Python (at least at that time) didn't even know about floating point numbers,
according to Torben (IIRC).

And python didn't have support for Unicode at all. But this has changed
recently.

> Recently there has been talk that there is a new Python
> based scripting language coming soon, but there has been no talk of it
> officially.

Torben started a new way of doing bindings to Qt widgets from python...
but he is also a very busy person, that's why there's no move in any
direction yet. At the moment, whether we support python or not in koffice
pretty much depends on him.

Note that kscript will always remain, at least for kspread, if not for
everything - there's nothing wrong in having two scripting languages.
And the current kscript supports dcop, properties, unicode, a reasonable
set of Qt widgets, etc.

> Here is my concern.  My company has also been working heavily on Python
> based scripting for KDE, specifically for an application we are working
> on, but we are making it general purpose.
>
> So I would hate to see duplicated or conflicting effort for the same
> goal.  So if this is really being worked on, can we start a dialog and
> make sure we all aren't spending time on something we don't have to?

Check with Torben about his plans.
Note that there is also the pykde bindings, but that's the one you're talking
about I guess. I'm not sure what the fundamental difference is (between
those and Torben's new approach to doing bindings between pythong and Qt),
although I'm pretty sure that Qt properties are the key to Torben's bindings.

http://home.clara.net/faure/, http://www.konqueror.org/