List:       koffice
Subject:    How do I debug KWord?
From:       "Shaheed Haque" <shaheedhaque () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2000-05-31 19:11:59

I'm having great trouble debugging (the floating frame support I'm adding to
KWord) because gdb seems completely incapable of correctly doing symbolic
debug. For example, the "bt" command gives complete nonsense for both
function name and filename/linenumber.

I've tried:

- upgrading gdb (to 4.18-12)

- checking LD_LIBRARY_PATH and /etc/ld.so.conf for any stale copies of
libraries

- checking that the image and library contain symbols:

$ file `which kword`
/opt/kde2/bin/kword: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1,
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
$ file /opt/kde2/lib/libkword.so
/opt/kde2/lib/libkword.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386,
version 1, not stripped

What am I doing wrong? This is surely a stupid question, but I'm stumped!
Help please!

	Thanks, Shaheed