List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: kmail & koffice
From:       Don Sanders <don () sanders ! org>
Date:       2000-05-26 0:31:40

> > > (You might think: let's not embed the full konqueror but just one of
> > > its views, like the icon view, but that is not possible, since
> > > koshell is a very stupid koffice mainwindow, does nothing but embed parts,
> > > whereas the konqueror mainwindow does _a lot_).
> >
> > This is interesting, so for the kde-pim project when we come to merging the
> > organizer/mail-client/adress-book we might be best of merging their mainwindow
> > code rather than making each of these things an embeddable part then?
>
> I don't see why you're saying that - the point here is that konqueror in itself
> is already a kparts mainwindow, so embedding it in a super-mainwindow doesn't
> really make sense. But turning many apps into parts and embedding them
> into a common framework (e.g. mainwindow) makes sense - it's exactly
> what the current work in kdegraphics (kviewshell) is about.

Ahh, so the correct analogy would be - if there existed a kde-pim application
that embeds various pim parts then that kde-pim application would be
equivalent (in some sense) to konqueror, and it would not make sense to embed it
in koshell? (Because the kde-pim application would already be a kparts
mainwindow so embedding it in a super-mainwindow wouldn't make sense).

I guess another example would be it doesn't make sense to try to embed koshell
within itself.

> > I am wondering what the best way of merging these projects is.
> >
> > Actually I had been thinking that there could be multiple mail-client/address
> > book parts and the user would choose the one they liked.
> Yes - much like the texteditor interface currently being developed in kdelibs
> (of which kwrite is an implementation). Or much like browserextension, etc.

OK. I should keep on eye on how this texteditor interface evolves then, it
would seem relevant.

BFN,
Don.